The Cross

The Cross

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Living in the light.

Okay so I wish i started this blog when i started reading the bible, but the way I am reading the bible is sequentially, starting from the new Testament. So I started reading 1 John tonight and the first thing that stood out to me was the title "Living in the light". This reminded me of a lot of things in my life that have happened that can testify to a life lived in the light, as i will share below.

1 John 1 states that "God is Light, and there is no darkness in him at all.". It also says that if we say we have fellowship with the Lord and we are living in spiritual darkness, we are living a lie. If we are of God we have to live in spiritual light... We have to confess all of our sins to Christ and ask him for forgiveness. Then we have to try and stop doing that sin, we can't just go on doing the sin over and over. If we truly want to please God and serve him by doing his will, we wont WANT to sin. We should know which things are sins and avoid them at all costs so that we can live pure lives and imitate Christ. Christ didn't die on the cross for us to keep on sinning and just say "hey I sinned and I'm sorry, but I kinda liked it so ill probably do it again". He died on the cross to have a personal relationship with him. He died so that if in life, you happen to mess up while trying your best not to, you will be forgiven and you can continue to grow in your relationship with God.

Now, about living in the light. We have to confess our sins to God and ask him to help us with those things, and we have to leave those things on his table and let him deal with them. But in my personal experience, living in the light isn't just confessing to Christ. It is also confessing your sins/confiding in someone you know. If nobody knows about the sin that you are doing, nobody can help you. Also if you share with somebody, then they can hold you accountable, and they can pray for you. So many times, when i manage to talk about a problem I have, if i speak to someone about it ( i know it's hard) I can deal with that sin much easier.

I'm not saying go around telling everybody about what you did wrong etc. You should find someone you can trust and who you know will be honest with you. Like a friend or a mentor who can hold you accountable.

We all sin. It is human nature. But don't keep your sin in the dark. Bring it to God and share it with someone you can trust. You will find it much easier to cope with.

Finally i want to share another passage from the bible also in 1 John. 1 John 2 vs 4: "If someone claims, "I know God" but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth" NLT.

If you disagree with what I have said, please tell me and give me your reason. I want to grow. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment